Monday 18 May 2015

Sportcard & Memorabillia Expo 2015 and the Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight

So continuing on from my last post, after we got our free comics we went to the Sportcard & Memorabillia Expo in Mississauga. The entrance fee was 12 dollars and we just went as a spur of the moment type of thing without knowing too much about the event. There were a bunch of notable guys there like Joe Carter and Mick Foley but unfortunately I didn't have anything for Foley to sign and by the time I found something at the expo that he could sign (his book) he was gone.


If your a collector then this is definitely a place you should at least check out. They had a lot of rare items and old school collectibles at a reasonable price. First let's start off with some of the wrestling collectibles I saw.





 I use to have the Hulk Hogan figure at the top left when I was a kid even though I was more a Macho Man fan (luckily, I got to meet him when I was a kid). I didn't pick up any wrestling memorabilia but I did get one thing that was wrestling related:




I got to meet Virgil and get his autograph. He talked about how he got pick-pocketed back in the day and how it's good I kept my wallet in a safe place. He was pretty cool and we talked for a good while. I picked up a bunch of other stuff as well but I only took a picture of a couple of them:






 I picked up one item in each of those photos. Could you guess which ones they are? Well if not then here are the answers:

First pic: Family Matters/Full House card deck (don't judge me lol)
Second pic: Power Rangers playing cards
Third pic: Power Rangers trading card set
Fourth pic: Sunshine Girl playing cards (had like 12 decks in that bundle)
Things that I picked up that have no picture: Dragon Ball Z, Yo MTV Rap and Basketball Upper Decker Trading cards.


The guys that had a Beckett booth also gave me this free magazine (shout out to them for hooking me up with it):

My most important purchase that day was for my Tyson Boxing glove. A couple months back I won a contest to meet Mike Tyson and go to his show. I got a signed glove but didn't have anywhere to put it. While walking the showroom floor I saw a case that would be perfect for it. It was a Stanley Cup case but I already knew that it would be perfect for the glove. So without further adieu, here it is:



 Now onto some of the cool collectibles I ran into while walking:
















 I remember those NHL Muppets as a kid. I believe they were being sold at McDonald's back in the day but I could be wrong about that. Still, seeing them brought back some memories. Then we have a card table that had a bunch of cool sets like the Coca Cola and Pamela Anderson ones. Next up is a TMNT lunch box. I use to have a lunch box similar to that one as a kid but it was a Super Mario one (I made a friend back in the day because we had the same lunch box lol). I had to take a picture of the Pez dispensers; I always think about that Seinfeld episode whenever I see them. The American Pie set is worth a lot because you have a chance of getting a signed Elvis card within the set and that would be worth A LOT of money if you hit the jackpot. Lastly we have the Rock'n Roll set and I took a picture because MC Hammer was on the cover! Next up, I want to cover some of the 'peculiar/why does this exist' things I came across but before I do that I have to show a picture of something. I couldn't decide if this was cool or deserved to be in the 'why does this exist' section so I'll just leave it here: 



 So yeah...moving onto some of the stuff I had to take a picture of because I found it funny that they were actually manufactured:




First is the Justin Bieber trading cards (wouldn't surprise me if they sold a lot...smh). Then we got the 'All My Children'  and 'American Idol' trading cards (my grandma would probably love those lol). Lastly, we got the Nsync and Ricky Martin trading cards (I was on the lookout for Michael Bolton trading cards after seeing these but no luck!). I would go to this expo again in the future, it's a good experience for the price.



After the expo my friend and I went to go watch the Mayweather vs. Pacquiao fight. Prior to going, I was at a family gathering and wasn't sure if I would be able to make it but my friends went early to reserve a table for us so I left my family gathering at a reasonable time so that I was able to watch the fight and spend time with the fam.



Going into the fight, I was cheering for Pacquiao to win because he's an aggressive fighter and his story about changing his ways to follow Christ is an awesome message. Also, when I saw this video on the Street Fighter YouTube page, It got me even more hype to see him fight:


Did I think he would win? I thought he had a chance but I knew Mayweather had the advantage (he is the champ and undefeated after-all). The first couple of rounds it looked good for Pacquiao because he was being the aggressor and landing his shots. As time went on though, you could see Mayweather keep him out and check him with a jab every time he tried to get in. Pacquiao was landing his shots when he would corner Mayweather by the ropes and give him no room to move. Unfortunately, he didn't keep him there and make good use of his opportunities. Mayweather won that match decisively and I find it funny how everyone is making memes out of Mayweather for hugging and running during the match when he's known to be a defensive boxer. What I find even more odd is that Pacquiao honestly thinks he won that fight. It was clear as day that he lost but still some people think he got robbed. Also, no one in Pacquiao's corner told him he was losing that match? I just don't get it but I for one wasn't disappointed in the fight. Mayweather stuck to his plan and won by keeping Pacquiao out. I think a lot of people are just disappointed because Manny didn't win and Mayweathers style isn't the best to watch but it is effective. What's funny is, after the decision was called, people were booing in the restaurant and some guy flipped his chair over; The place cleared out within 2 minutes of the decision.


My friend and I were one of the few people that stayed back to listen to the interviews. I don't think we'll see a fight of that calibur in the future but I would be down to watch a rematch if it happened. There is that whole shoulder injury as well (I'm surprise they would allow him to fight with an injury like that). I wouldn't use that as an excuse for Manny though since he knew what he was getting into and he should've reported it earlier if it was an issue.

That's pretty much it. Went to Free Comic Book Day, Sport Card Expo, a family gathering and Boston Pizza to watch the fight all in the same day. Good times, good times. Now you can see why I don't have much time to update this blog lol. Next blog entry I will talk about my first tournament and the Qbert and Ztrip concert I went to this week.

Untill next time!








No comments:

Post a Comment