Saturday 30 May 2015

Toryuken 4 and the Enthusiast Gaming Live Event


Hey guys! As promised, I'm here with another blog entry and it didn't take months to upload! There's a lot of stuff happening this summer and I'm off this week so I'm able to update this thing lol.  I'll be covering Toryuken and the EG Live event that was taking place in the same venue.



Toryuken 4 was the first tournament that I entered and it was really fun. My neighbour and I entered the Street Fighter tournament and he was my first opponent (lol what are the chances?). The first day of the tournament was running very late and the space for the FGC games wasn't that big. There was also an EG Live event taking place in the same convention so it was cool that we had the option to check out other things while we waited. My pool was about 2 hours late but it was all good because it is very hard to schedule something with so much people. Still, I feel like they can improve on this for next year. After waiting for the 2 hours, I ended up winning my first match against my neighbour (played with E. Honda in all my tournament matches). Justin Wong was in the same bracket and if I won two more matches then I would face him. Justin even watched my second match and was keeping score of it because he was helping run the bracket (he was a very nice person BTW). Unfortunately, I lost to a Bison player at the last round of the last match.


I noticed I was jumping in too much and the Bison player gave me some pointers against this match-up which I appreciated a lot because I'm always looking for ways to improve. So now, I'm in the losers bracket and it's all YOLO! (yeah I know it's a lame thing to say but what if Emma Stone said it?)



My first match in the losers bracket was against a Juri and I was able to win that one 2-0. Next up was a Makoto and it went down to the last round last match again. This time I had another E. Honda player watching and cheering me on (never got his name but shout out to that guy for cheering against his friend lol). He kept telling me to jump light punch during the match and it was the move that delivered the winning blow! Next up was a Rufus player and it came to the last match last round again....Beside him giving him tips was the Bison player that beat me and unfortunately I lost the match by a little bit. After that I was eliminated but going 3-2 for your first tournament is pretty good IMO.



I wanted to face Justin Wong and Infiltration but never got the chance. Although, I know that I need more practice if I want to be competitive with them because I got eliminated so early. After I was eliminated I decided to check out all the stuff the Enthusiast Gaming Live area had to offer and it was pretty cool. I like the fact that they teamed up and did an event together because it gives people a lot of options. There were tournaments for DOTA, Counter Strike, Smash Bros, etc... as well as live speed runs taking place. There were multiple booths for gaming and gear but one that I found really interesting was an E-Sports bar opening up in Toronto that will have drinks based on video games and you will be able to play video games in there as well. I took a picture of some of the drinks:



































There were some more impressive booths that I saw but I didn't take a picture of all of them. I did however take some pictures and here they are:























The second day of the event ran a lot smoother then the first despite the blackouts the happened (about 3 of them lol). Here's some footage I took during one of them:


Although, you can't blame the blackouts on the event organizers as it was something that was happening in Mississauga at the time. Infiltration ended up winning USF4 decisively and Justin Wong won Marvel. There were a lot of other tournaments but those were the two I followed. Mortal Kombat seemed to have a lot of hype because the local players are really strong (a Canadian ended up winning that tournament, which is awesome!). I also went to some of the panels that EG Live was hosting but not much people seemed to attend them (maybe people didn't know they were allowed in those rooms? Or there was not much advertisement for them?). My friend and I made this bead art during one of the panels:


I would say this tournament was a great experience despite the long wait the first day. I will definitely try to go next year and make it to top 16 at least! I was going to talk about the Z-Trip & QBert event at the Phoenix Hall that we went to after this event but that would make this post too long. I'll just say that it was a dope show!! As always, feel free to follow me:

https://instagram.com/da_linkwent/
http://www.twitch.tv/i_can_dig_it/profile


No comments:

Post a Comment